What a nice little game! I have schizophrenia and it was nice to see someone explain it well. The game as a whole is a great concept. Great job!
A Walk in the Park
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
A Walk in the Park is an interactive application set in an open world, outdoor park environment where the player will come across various popular video game characters who have been described as having a particular mental illness.
These game characters will be discussing the mental illness they are meant to have, and the behaviour it causes with individuals who have been based on real people and studies.
The player will be able to read their dialog and see the significant differences between the symptoms and the portrayal of mental illness in video games compared to real life.
The purpose: Attempt to eliminate the negative stigma surrounding mental illness due to the misrepresentation often seen in popular mainstream media.
- Read conversations between characters who share the same mental illness but have very different lifestyles.
- Walk around the park, meet new characters and greet some popular ones.
- VR mode where interaction takes a whole new level.
- No set game goal. Just learn about the things many people have to deal with on a daily basis.
- WASD to move.
- Pan the camera with your mouse.
- Press the spacebar to interact with the characters.
- Optional: if you're running the Oculus Rift VR build (and got the Oculus Rift set up), interact with the menus through your gaze.
Note: support services and helplines are provided under the "Seek Help" section of the "About" menu.
- Charmaine Lim
- Derek Nicoll
- Juan Rodríguez (@timrodz)
- Thomas Greentree
- Mitchell Currie
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Hello! I really enjoyed your game, it was a wonderful way to display the different mental health issues. It even taught me a little about some of the characters I thought I knew! I made a let's play of your game here~
Thanks for playing, I was the environmental artist and also researched the topics. I enjoyed your video of it as well. This was part of an assignment at Media Design school where we were given 1 month to create an interactive and educational program that was also appealing to play (education and fun are difficult to combine lol).
Art (especially the cartoonish style you see here), games and psychology have been a passion of mine for a long time, so I really enjoyed creating this